Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kudos to Sears, shame on you Ford

So the time of year is upon us when children get settled into school and all of us are able to focus our minds on something more important than education:  zombies.  I think that we've all noticed more zombie-centric themes around the general media lately and as such I would like to write about a couple of them tonight.

First of all, please take a look at these two sites and meet me on the other side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu4_F_QNqYc

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_Zombie

Now, I know that that's not the full, official site for Ford's Fiesta zombie campaign but I couldn't see the whole thing because I'm not on the Facebooks.  That's the first problem I have with Ford's new campaign:  it restricts access to only those with faces.

But onto the real point of this post which is this:  on which side of zombie advertising do you fall?

Personally, I find it very refreshing to see Sears step up as the first major retailer to advertise specifically to the zombie audience.  I've had a few conversations about this now and I believe that the zombie audience is an under-served niche market.  You see ads all the time for Pork: the other white meat, but what about Brains: the gray meat?

Obviously, the first answer that comes to mind is the fact that historically zombies have never been big spenders.  Very few have jobs that pay "people money" and the ones that don't have jobs are unable to get any kind of assistance due to their technical lack of life.  As we all know this has forced many zombies into low or non paying positions or out on the streets wondering where they will find their next full cranium or delicious, delicious intestines.  Due to this, most retailers have steered clear of zombie advertising on the premise that it "isn't worth it."  In the last few years though, zombies have made great strides in the community and many more have been able to obtain good, honest work.  That is what makes this such a great move for Sears:  they're the first retailer in on it.  They are gaining an entire generation of loyal zombie customers.
Don't worry, zombies won't forget this... wait, yeah I guess they will.  Despite this fact, though, I think that this is a great move for Sears to move into the zombie realm. 

Note: I won't be shopping there... only an idiot would go to a store full of zombies

On the other hand we have Ford.  What happened Ford?  You used to be cool.  I'm not saying that I have anything against such a zombist advertising campaign.  I'm saying that it's incredibly misleading:  when is there ever JUST ONE ZOMBIE?  Terrible, Ford.  You should only do this kind of one-on-one "test" when considering a firearm, not a car.  If there's just one zombie why do you need to drive away?  Sac up and destroy the brain.  I understand, nobody in that ad is going to be able to do that, but that doesn't change my opinion.  We need to face the facts and in this case the fact is that if you're vehicle doesn't have a full steel frame it's not a good zombie vehicle, period.  But I'm getting off topic.

Is Ford right to advertise to the anti zombie crowd?  Yes, absolutely.  The undead are terrible drivers (I know I'll get flamed for that but come on, you know it's true).  Does this specific ad achieve it's job of making the Fiesta look attractive to the anti zombie enthusiast?  No.  All 3 of the people in the spot should be dead but the only reason they can still be alive is because each must live a relatively sheltered life.  What would be a more effective advertisement for anti zombie enthusiasts?  Show me what the zombie handler drives.  He obviously knows what it takes to handle their kind and I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's not a Fiesta, Fit, or Yaris he's driving.  If I were to judge a book by it's cover I'd say he probably drives something like an F-350.  That's the vehicle in which anti zombie enthusiasts are interested and that's the vehicle Ford should be trying to sell us.  Show us a big ol' lifted truck with steel welded over all the windows and a .50 cal mounted in the bed.  That's a vehicle that will let you escape zombies, not the new Ford Fiesta.

Bottom line:  Advertising to either side is acceptable and can even be celebrated.  However, in this case Sears' ad campaign is much more appealing to their target audience than is Ford's.  Sears' advertised products are much more appropriate for their target audience than are Ford's.  Lastly, the Ford Fiesta is much more appropriate for making out with Twilight vampires than it is escaping any kind of zombies.

No comments:

Post a Comment